The Department will take action to increase the facilities related to communication in year 2010. There are 02 Certified Schools, 02 Detention Centers and one Center for Enrollment of Children which are under direct control of the Department Probation and Child Care Services. Apart from that, there are 12 Probation Divisions functioning at the level of Court Zones. Preliminary action has already being taken to implement a proper communication system among the above mentioned units with the head office. Under this, all the establishments have been provided with computer facilities. Steps have been taken to launch an information transfer system through Internet with e-mail facility, using ADSL package of Sri Lanka Telecom Ltd.
In relation to the subject of Probation and Child Care Services, action is being taken under the following mentioned ordinances
1. Probation of Offenders Ordinance (No. 42 of 1944)
2. Children and Young Persons Ordinance (No. 48 of 1939)
3. Orphanages Ordinance (No. 22 of 1941)
4. Payment of Fines Ordinance ( No. 49 of 1938)
5. Adoption of Children Ordinance (No. 24 of 1941)
6. Vagrants Ordinance (No. 04 of 1841)
7. Houses of Detention Ordinance (No. 05 of 1907)
8. Youthful Offenders Training Schools Ordinance (No 28 of 1939)
From among the ordinances mentioned above, the Western Province Provincial Council has introduced at present the Child Development Centers Statue, No. 01 of 2008, by annulling the Orphanages Ordinance No. 22 of 1941. The regulations enacted under this Statute are to be stated before the end of year 2009.
It is expected to give priority to launch a programme by the department from year 2010 onwards, to state Statutes that annull the above mentioned ordinances.